Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Insecurity in the workforce with disability

"And may the odds be ever in your favor.” the famous line from the movie trilogy the hunger games ones I saw it written on the back of a computer of a counselor on a community college that I used to attend back on twenty fourteen. At that time I didn't think of it, I even praised the counselor for it. now two years have passed since I finished my degree in school and with a bachelors in Communications and a minor in Art I am still lacking of a job. Now I understand that as a person with a disability I was a fool to think that the odds in in the work force were in my favor. How could I someone that been put down and struggled to get respected even by his own family think that would be respected by strangers and in an environment that even someone with no disability has trouble getting. 

After a year of looking I found another job, perhaps not the job that I imagine but its something, perhaps its almost the same job that I had just with a different company and with a different set of districts. As individual with disabilities in the work force there's always an insecurity with am I getting treated equally, am I doing the job like any other employee. Working as a substitute long weeks with middle school students elevates one's anxiety level trough the roof. When a student push back and refuses to simple direction, like read your book, that moment can really put a dent on one's self-esteem. Lucky bumping into another substitute in the launch room and exchanging work experiences helps. It help me see that I was having the same issues with students as a regular employee with out a disability.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment